Leon Wieseltier: American Liberals and the Streets of Cairo – ‘…the Obama administration, and American liberals more generally, have been caught intellectually unprepared for this crisis. The administration’s predicament, it must be said, is strategically complicated: since Mubarak may fall, it cannot afford to alienate the protestors, but since the protestors may fail, it cannot afford to alienate Mubarak. Our officials have been improvising, not altogether brilliantly…Obama replaced the freedom agenda with an acceptance agenda. His foreign policy has been conducted in a vigorously multicultural spirit…It was a terrible mistake for Obama to make democratization seem like an “imposition,” with its imperialist implications, and to conflate it with military invasion. The promotion of democracy is a policy of support for indigenous Egyptian, or Arab, or Muslim democrats who are just as authentic as Egyptian, or Arab, or Muslim autocrats and theocrats, and certainly more deserving of American respect…’
- Martin Solomon in Bigot Toilets - "Thanks much. Good to see you around as well. "
- SnoopyTheGoon in Bigot Toilets - "Nice to see you back. Good start, too."
- Mark Nystedt in Bigot Toilets - "I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body. They're gonna make a three dollar bill, Who's pic should it..."
- Kindi in Juden Raus – The Board Game - "Hahaha! It's Blokus - the kids all adore it, even if they don't really play by the rules... Adults love..."
- arabian in Hiatus - "Hi Solomon, Its been a long time!! Hope you return to blogging again very soon. (seriously) With all..."
Archives Prior to Jan. 16, 2011
For all content prior to Jan. 16, 2011, including searches, head over to the archived site.
Subscribe to Solomonia for Free or Make a Donation
Do you enjoy this site? Would you like to see it continue? Running this site is not free, considering both internet costs and the costs of lost time and other opportunities. All good things eventually come to an end. Help encourage me to continue this good thing by making a contribution. Click the logo below to make a donation through PayPal. If you would prefer another method, please feel free to contact me. I thank you in advance.